This project is read-only.

Is Madoko yet another attempt to Extend-Embrace-Exterminate?

Feb 1, 2016 at 11:25 AM
Edited Mar 15, 2016 at 3:13 AM
I went ahead and wrote some LaTeX code into the simple test document using the ~~Snippet markdown. I have yet to see such slow LaTeX rendering. It basically is a crippled LaTeX, through no fault of LaTeX itself, but of the server side compilation.

I lived through the nonsense that Microsoft put us all through in destroying relevant, good technology by pretending to accept it, then creating market share, only to destroy that technology.

That this is "open source" gives me no comfort, just look at what android has turned into.
Feb 4, 2016 at 6:23 PM
Hi, I am Daan, the creator of Madoko :-)

Sorry to see you didn't like your experience. I would like to point out though that Madoko is a Microsoft Research project. It started really as a program to see how well the effect-inference in the new programming language Koka was working in a larger scale project. While doing that I realized how Markdown is very pleasant to write in, and that it can be high-level enough to be able to generate articles both for fixed-width paper (a la Latex/PDF), but also to generate reflowable and rescalable documents (a la HTML). For me, as a researcher, I consider the latter to be very important for scientific articles -- it is just terrible to read papers as PDF on smaller devices while a HTML paper automatically reflows and scales to fit the device (like a mobile phone).

The goal of Madoko is really to write documents in a high-level way and being able to generate to various backends without modifying content. This is exceedingly difficult to do for general LaTeX since there are many assumptions for a fixed width page layout. A related goal to help writing at the most abstract level, is to use standard CSS rules for document styling, and enable user-defined abstractions and document transformations.

With regard to the slow rendering of snippets, I wish it was faster too :-) However, currently it is still as small research project with a single server machine -- perhaps in the future I will be able to fund more and faster servers. However, do note that Madoko also comes as a command-line program or that you can use the online environment through madoko-local which both allow you to render documents using your own local LaTeX installation.

Anyway, I hope that helps putting things in perspective,
Best,
-- Daan
Feb 5, 2016 at 4:46 PM
Edited Mar 15, 2016 at 3:13 AM
I understand what you are saying. Best of luck.
Feb 5, 2016 at 10:43 PM
@daan

haters will be haters. their judgement are clouded by hate. no need to respond or justify anything. also, i've read halfway the serialmentor post. waste of my time.

also, the discussion should be about Madoko. Not 'typical Microsoft strategy'.

Good work with Madoko daan. Keep it up.